Friday, November 7, 2008
Foody Friday: Freezer Meals
I can't imagine life without freezer meals! Some of the best meals are those last minute ones you can pull out of the freezer and pop in the oven. Add some fresh bread and a tossed salad and you've got dinner! Since we are still only a family of three it is easy to make a large pan of lasagna or soup and then freeze half of the meal to use at a later time. If I am not sure when I will use the leftovers, I separate them into small containers and then they are easy to pull out for a lunch. Jason especially likes having freezer lunches available when he has to get into work early on a snow day, though I am hoping those days are a ways away yet.
You can freeze just about anything in an air-tight container, but this recipe has been on my list to share so here it goes:
Chicken Lasagna
1 - 8 oz pkg lasagna noodles (I use 12 regular sized pre-cooked lasagna noodles!)
2 cup cottage cheese
1 cup shredded American cheese (I use mozzarella and/or colby jack)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups cooked diced chicken
Sauce:
3 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/3 cup milk
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
1 tsp. basil
4 oz. mushroom pieces (drained)
In large saucepan melt butter, add onion and green pepper. Cook 2 minutes. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients. In greased 9 x 13 pan place in this order: Noodles, cottage cheese, chicken, cheese, sauce. Repeat layers except Parmesan cheese saving it for the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45- 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze any leftovers or make two separate 9 x 9 pans! I like to cook before I freeze but I hear that more often than not it is okay to freeze and then cook later.
Want more freezer meal ideas? Check out our host at A Latte Talk or feel free to leave a recipe in the comments. I'd love to hear what you have to share.
Labels:
recipe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
It's funny, as I sit and read your comment about snow, it's snowing outside and my girls are jumping around going, "It's SNOWING!".
It's here.
Making Chicken Lasagna. Soon.
Yum!
Thanks for the reminder about chicken lasagna. I use a similar recipe. One or the other will be going on the menu next week!
I also want to try your muffin recipe!
Did you look closely at that Freezer? There is only about 3 items on each shelf. Our freezer would also be "that organized" with such a small amount of stuff inside.
: )
jj
Post a Comment