Friday, September 25, 2009

A Soggy Day at the Orchard

Seth driving the Apple Train with gusto! He loved yelling, "All aboard" at the top of his lungs.

I love to get to our favorite orchard early so I can pick fresh raspberries. Once the day is picked it's hard to change it. Thus today I took the kids to Fischer's Croix Farm Orchard for the morning. The rain poured on our car the whole way there and I was starting to wonder if I might regret this trip. Then again, I was with two kids who were thrilled to play out in the rain so why not?

K and Seth taking in the calf and some chickens.

Much to my relief when we arrived the rain cleared up for awhile. The kids were able to see the animals and play around in the yard. We even got six pints of raspberries picked before the rain started to come again!

Seth filled his own container of raspberries and I was shocked to see how well he did all by himself.

We picked some apples in the rain and then headed to the shelter of the side of the building for our picnic lunch of apples, berries and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. It was actually very beautiful to watch the rain come down. It could have been more peaceful, but hey, I was with two preschoolers, what could I expect?!

Picking apples in the rain made us a bit less picky, but we are planning to use the Harolson for baking anyway so I guess it won't matter too much.

I grabbed a couple pumpkins from the pile as it stared to pour and got everything piled into the car in record time. I of course won the contest for the most soaked. Go figure. It was my rear sticking out of the car to get everyone buckled in and me running back and forth from the building to the car in the downpour with berries, apples, pumpkins and such.

J mom and her little man. He sat on my lap during our picnic to warm up. I have to remember every cuddle moment as they come less often these days. Must be part of growing up...

All in all it was fun and worth it. It tops spending a rainy day at home, just costs quite a bit more. I look forward to spending my rainy weekend baking with Seth. I'm dreaming of Apple Pie and Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins. Yum...

No comments: