Saturday, September 26, 2009

Oh, Five Point Harness...I Will Miss You!


I have been avoiding this day for months now: the day where I admit that Seth needs a Big Boy seat for the car. I have seen when I buckle him into his five point harness that the straps no longer go just at or slightly above his shoulders but dig down way behind. I know, as all mothers who read about car seat safety, that this is the sign for change.

I have not wanted the change!

I have been living in this world where my son stays small and safe in his five point harness until he is full grown. Full grown meaning off to college mind you. I like knowing that he is literally tied down to my car if there were to ever be an accident. Heaven forbid my husband is right: What keeps our son safe is how we drive. Is it really all on me?! What about those idiots who don't stop for the sign or pull out into highway traffic without looking?! Why do I have to constantly be driving safely for them too?! (Sorry, rabbit trail.)

So today was the day I bought a booster for my son. A HIGH back one of course so I can make sure that the seat belt strap correctly positions over his highly adorable and precious little body. What I wouldn't give for a tall and slender car seat with a five point harness for the lightweight but tall little boy I love with all of my heart. Oh Graco, oh Evenflo, oh Costco...you have failed me!

At least there is a little comfort in knowing that the one within my womb will be strapped into a five point harness at birth and snuggled safely in the center of our small car. Then again with our small car the center is the only place that little wonder will even fit.

They grow up so fast and I find it so hard to let go of each stage. Motherhood is a constant struggle between teaching your children to grow more independent and then wishing you could hold them tighter just a little longer. Keeping you kids safe in your own resolve...impossible. Thank you for a great God who loves them more than I can ever imagine who will protect them when I cannot!

No comments: