
Garage sale season is just getting under way here. You know, now that the snow has officially melted and there is no longer ice covering all the lakes and we can re-enter civilization safely...
Garage sales can be the best place to find great deals for your tots! There are those items out there that need knew homes and yours could be one of them.
I have a love/ hate relationship with garage sales as you are often mislead about what or how much merchandise is going to be available and my often least favorite, where it may have come from. If you garage sale at all you know that some people are just getting rid of junk. The kids shoes and clothes all have holes in them and smell as if they were not washed after the last time their child used them. But on the other hand there are people who need to get rid of really great, barely used stuff and they have cleaned it and cared for it, even worked to make it presentable and affordable for any parent off the street. I find that more often than not our local garage sales land in between those two descriptions so I have learned a few tips to protect me from the worst of the worst.
#1 - Watch for local garage sale postings in your classifieds or on craigslist. You can save a lot of time and money by finding family garage sales or a number of sales in one area during one time slot which is common in many neighborhoods.
#2 - Check in with your city to see if they host a city-wide sale. The city of Roseville hosts a city-wide sale on June 6 meaning that any residents who want to participate have a sale that weekend and for a small fee you can have your sale put on a listing with a handy map.
#3 - Always have a list in mind of what you are looking for. For example this year I am keeping my eyes open for another tricycle and small outdoor trucks to enjoy in the mud and sand. I am picky about clothing but need some pants and tees and if possible a few more "church" outifts. I always watch for snow gear and rain boats that Seth can grow into too.
#4 - Have the amount of cash you are willing to spend in your pocket - don't even bring a wallet with options to make payments. Always have an idea of what you are willing to pay for an item you are looking for and don't waiver! Don't get taken by people who are trying to make ten dollars of a toy that is really only worth five.
#5 - Be aware of the surroundings. There are some neighborhoods where you may get into more than you bargain for. Avoid areas that make you feel uncomfortable. When it looks like a pile of junk and some strange people in the front yard always feel free to drive right by. Nobody will have hurt feelings.
I wish you all happy shopping and recomend you find some friends to call when you see the good deals coming. I have gotten some great leads from other moms in the past. Where are you hitting the garage sales this season?
2 comments:
I love it! 're-enter civilization safely' indeed! Hope you find some great treasures out there!!!
Thanks for the advice! I can't wait to find my first steals of the season!
Post a Comment