Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A New Year of Learning

Seth is growing so fast and taking in so much information in such a short amount of time. We keep reading books that I feel should be too hard to understand and he has no problem relaying what he learned at all! Since learning and teaching toddlers is really all about having fun too we are incorporating some new things into our new year. I plan to share them with you so you can try them in your own home as well!

Our Calendar from Lakeshore Learning. I used velcro so we can easily stick up each new day and then remove them for each new month. All pieces have been laminated also in hopes of keeping them in good condition longer. The calendar itself comes with even more options so we have a lot to grow into in our pre-school years!

A Calendar is now hanging on the end of the island in our kitchen. It has been explained that it is a learning area and not a toy to be played with. Each day we will add the number of the day and then discuss the month and day of the week. There are holidays and birthdays to add to the calendar so we can count down days as well. He may be young for this but I figure it is a challenge for him to start seeing it early. We also find it gives us something fun to look forward to each day as Seth enjoys adding the new number.

A calendar is a huge learning opportunity for kids. Find a way to add one to your daily routine and you will see your children learning their numbers, days, months, and sense of timing too which is a hard concept to come by.

Want more info on finding your own calendar check out Lakeshore Learning. They are a great resource for pre and school age children and you can sign up for a free catalogue to view their ideas!

3 comments:

Katerina said...

We have a map of America. Ayden can point and tell us who in the family lives in diferent states. Crazy!

Ames said...

How fun - I used that same calendar in preschool :) I also velcro-ed the numbers on! Great minds think alike... or something like that!

Allison said...

I miss doing the calendar with my kids. In addition to the numbers and singing the days and months, we would do it in French as well. It's amazing how quickly they pick stuff up.