Thursday, September 18, 2008

Going Apple Picking

Seth (Sept. 07) at Fischer Croix Farms

We are on to a new topic at the Johnson family: Apples! I love fall and visiting Apple Orchards. Why not take two weeks to learn about them?! We also plan to visit a few as time allows, or the weather. For the latest book list check the left hand column and get to your local library.

What orchard does your family love to visit? Jason and I have gone to an orchard every year since we started dating in college. It is a favorite couple and now family activity. There are so many and we have tried more than a few. We would love everyone to share their suggestions! Here are a few places we have been in the metro area (click on for more info):

Fischer's Croix Farm Orchard

We prefer the smaller, family run orchards and this encompasses all of that. They have a few animals, a corn maze, kid's train play area, pumpkin patch and pick your own apples. Seth loves the wagon they provide to get around in and if you get there in September the raspberry picking is fantastic! They don't provide the food like a large orchard would but it allows us to save money and pack a light lunch as we are eating apples the whole time anyway. There is NO entrance fee which keeps us coming back for more each year, this will be our fourth! (They also send coupons if you join their mailing list - that's a huge bonus!)

Apple Jacks Orchards

Have a fun variety but call ahead about what you can pick on your own. Depending on the day you go there are fun rides for kids. If you are into corn mazes, theirs is HUGE!

Afton Apple Orchards

They have it all, but are popular because of it and will be busy!

Deer Lake Orchard

They are big into festivals and private events. A good place to call in advance. We got some great photo ops but that was about all as a school group was in the orchard and as I recall they would not let us go to pick because of that.

So those are the few I could remember off the top of my head. Once Jason reminds me of some others I will add them in. Again, let us know where your family loves to go so we can put it on the list!

Missed the Farm Animals Book List? I moved it to the bottom of the blog for now so you are not too late! We hope you are enjoying the reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. Shaylynn and I are visiting the orchard next week. I used to like Minnetonka Orchards but it's really changed. I'd like to check out the one in Hastings.

Sarah said...

I love the angle of your picture. The apple looks bigger than Seth's head!

Jenny said...

You rock the apple orchard! thanks for sharing all your research, we are planning on taking a trip!