Sunday, August 24, 2008

Life Happens

Life happens in its own way and in its own timing. You think that you are in control of certain things and then you get a wake up call and the reminder that you really are in control of nothing at all.

It's been awhile since I posted (though leaving my post number at 100 was pretty cool). I wish I could tell you that I was on a deserted island with only my spouse, sunshine and a few good books to read, but alas it was not so. I spent the majority of my time away from the computer...sick. Sick as a dog - what does that mean anyway? Sick enough to actually get my butt, well my dad had to drive me, to the Dr to try to determine the problem. Three days with a fever of 103 degrees is just not okay with my system. Things fell apart fast and the next thing I knew I was only able to drink liquids as my throat was too sore to swallow anything larger than a molecule of H2O. This illness, unidentifiable other than "monster virus," kept Jason home from work three days and my parents with us for three more days as I really needed that much time in bed and a few days to gather the strength to care for our child on my own again. If one could avoid a "monster virus" I would suggest you avoid this one at all costs!

Though while I was sleeping or just plain old sick in bed, life continued to happen. It does that. Jason had to learn how to start the dishwasher, my dad had to allow a toddler to chase him all over the park before passing out from complete exhaustion, my mother had to make meals and order some in too, and Seth, well, he pretty much just told everyone what to do (some things may never change).

As I reordered my home to my liking and cleaned until no "monster virus" could survive here any longer, it crossed my mind that though my life seemed to stop for a few days, nothing else around me did. (Piles of dishes and laundry are certain proof of life!) Now this sounds morbid, but if I were no longer on this earth, life would still happen for everyone I love. It's the way things are meant to be. It's the reason my son seems an inch taller and has a larger vocabulary even since I recovered from my illness. It's the reason the seasons change and thus so do we. I was not meant to be in control of it all - thank the Lord.

I wonder if my time in bed was to remind me to seize each day. That you may only have so many and its either get busy living or get busy dying (favorite quote from Shawshank Redemption). I choose to get busy living and make the most of each day God has given me! What will it take to remind you?


3 comments:

The Bohrer's said...

Glad you are feeling better! I am sure your family has a new appreciation for all you do! Ethan is my reminder to make the most of each day, unfortunately, I am guilty of forgetting that some days!

Emily said...

Wow, I bet it feels good to be able to get up and move again... I've been down and out the past few days so I know a little what you mean about how things around you don't slow down... crazy.

Glad you enjoyed the zucchini and tomatoes like that. It is my absolute favorite way to eat them! :)

Take care!

Allison said...

That sounds miserable. I'm glad you're feeling better.