Monday, July 26, 2010

learning the ins and outs of making jam

I love to eat bread and jam - who doesn't?!  I have been meaning to take photos for this post but am realizing it's time to just get on with it.  It's summer and I am too lazy to take pictures of things like jars of jam, even if they are beautiful!

With the help of my friend Laura, I made over a dozen jars of Rhubarb Cherry Jam last weekend while my boys were away camping.  It turned out to be great fun and the product is a super sweet yummy concoction that we will enjoy for the rest of the year!  (And a few of them will be tied with ribbon to make gifts for our teachers this Christmas too - the bright red color of the jam is magnificent!)

You may just want to try it yourself so here's the recipe thanks to Grandma Una!

Rhubarb Cherry Jam

(made about 9 cups)
6 cups diced rhubarb
4 cups sugar
1 can of cherry pie filling        
l pkg (reg size) Cherry jello   

1. I put rhubarb and sugar in a big bowl and let it stand a few minutes --long enough to draw some of the juice out and wet the sugar.   (No water is added)
2. Put in a large kettle on stove over medium heat and stir until the sugar is all dissolved and bring to boil. 
3. Boil about 15 minutes, it will boil over if you don't have a big enough kettle and stir it often.
4. After boiling 15 minutes add a can of cherry pie filling and boil 10 minutes more. 
5. Add cherry jell-o stir until dissolved. (This does not set up hard like some preserves, expect it to be a bit runny!)
6. Fill  your jars.

Okay, so step six is a bit more difficult than that.  This was my first experience with canning anything.  I recommend following the directions on the jars you purchase.  The most important thing is getting a good seal.  We could even hear them pop when they sealed.  Good luck!

No comments: