Thursday, November 5, 2009

Easy Flatbread Tacos

These tacos are not only filling but a great change of pace from the ordinary!

Flatbread Tacos
(with Ranch Sour Cream)

Ingredients

  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons ranch salad dressing mix
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
  • Optional toppings: sliced ripe olives and shredded lettuce and cheddar cheese

Directions

  • In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, dressing mix and lemon juice; chill until serving.
  • In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning and pepper sauce; heat through.
  • Meanwhile, roll out each biscuit into a 6-in. circle. In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook each biscuit for 30-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown; keep warm.
  • To serve, spread each flatbread with 2 tablespoons ranch sour cream; top each with 2/3 cup meat mixture. Sprinkle with toppings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
I have to admit we did not try the ranch sour cream aspect of the recipe. We are huge sour cream fans so we just spread low fat sour cream all over our "flatbread" and the loaded them with the meat mixture and toppings. They were almost impossible to hold so we dove in with forks.

I actually used deer burger to make it lean, okay not really, I just have a lot of deer meat to use up. The biscuits I bought store brand and paid $1 for. The beans and tomatoes both cost less than $1 each. Talk about cheap and easy. It made enough for two plus meals by the way so I put half in the freezer to pull out in a few weeks. All I have to do is fry up some more dough and we have dinner served! Then again, the homemade guacamole served with chips on the side was a nice touch and might need repeating too.

No comments: