Monday, September 14, 2009

My Baby's First Day of Preschool

My "little" boy on his first day of ECFE Preschool.

I am a tad bit emotional about the whole preschool thing. It hit me hard at the ECFE Open House on Thursday night and even more so today. How is Seth old enough to attend preschool? Is it really possible that I would drive him to a building and let someone else care for him while I am not even in the same building?! Foreign...until today.

Seth has been excited but also has separation issues. The idea of me leaving is hard to bare but once I am out of the picture a good teacher can get him re focused and he does just fine. His teacher this year is a GREAT one. He was really sad when it came time for me to leave but we talked through what would happen, about a dozen times, and then I gave him a hug and a kiss goodbye.

His teacher took my spot and helped him right into distraction. I never heard a fuss or a tear once I left the room. Of course I waited a few minutes thinking he would need me, but he was fine. Praise God in heaven, he was fine! I let some tears roll down my own cheeks and then headed to parent time.

I am sure that there will be a few tears and some explanations each time for this first few weeks until the routine of it all sets in, but he's mommy's big boy now and I have to say I am so proud of him. I was proud of me holding it together so well too, until I went to pick him up and there he was with his teacher and friends having a blast, this huge smile on his face. I couldn't help but gurgle and shed a few more tears.

The problem with having your baby grow up, is that you as a mother have to grow up more too...

No comments: