Thursday, July 16, 2009

Back in the Kitchen

The weather has been cooler this week and I have gotten an urge to bake. So far we have chocolate chip cookies and Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Bars also known as Special K Bars to some. Today I made oatmeal raisin cookies and rhubarb muffins too. Yum! I love having so much fresh stuff from the oven, however it is hard not to spend all day eating it too. Thus I froze most of the cookies for an upcoming week of more normal summer weather when I refuse to turn on the oven and shared a bunch of bars with the guys working out front on the road construction too. If you are in a cooking mood give these Rhubarb Muffins a try. For non rhubarb fans that get eaten with no trouble at all.

Crispy Crunchy Rhubarb Muffins
Makes 2 dozen

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb

Topping: 1/2 cup brown sugar mixed with 1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together first five ingredients. Sift in flour, soda, and salt. Blend in rhubarb. Pour into muffin pans. Sprinkle with topping. Bake at 325 for approximately 30 min.

Note: If your rhubarb is quite tart toss it with a little flour and sugar before adding it in!

No comments: