
I have been surprised by how little some people use art in their home with their small children. A child is capable of learning to color shortly after turning one and most certainly by 18 months of age. Getting out the washable crayons is the best way to start. Crayola even makes a set perfect for little fingers to hold if you want to invest some money in the process. Seth seemed to like the triangular shaped ones at first but now he just wants as many colors as possible to choose from.
After turning two we moved up to some washable markers and then got into washable paints. It sounds almost hazardous, but when they say washable they mean it. I have a horribly old kitchen floor that we do all of our arts and crafts on to be mindful of my cream colored carpet, but I have yet to find anything that doesn't come off. Well, there was that day with the glitter that I found in numerous places for weeks afterwards, but that is why we learned our lesson and haven't used it since.
Last week Seth and I went to some various craft stores to stock up on some fun supplies. Here was our list: glue sticks, pipe cleaners, stickers, and yarn. Simple and yet they allow for such fun for the kids! Most hobby stores we visit even have kits for craft projects you can do with kids of various ages. They can be great especially around the holidays. For example: Have you bought an egg decorating kit yet?
Check out your local hobby store and get some craft supplies for your kids to play with. Here are some to try: Jo-Ann's, Michael's, Lakeshore Learning, Hobby Lobby or even Target. The more creativity you allow the better!
And note to parents, I find sitting on the floor doing crafts with the kids about as therapeutic as a soak in the tub. It's good medicine for us all! What crafts are you working on with your little ones?!
2 comments:
Ayden started painting when he was six months old. I still have hs first painting. We still paint and do crafts weekly.
I am sure you have maybe been to the site, but www.crayola.com is a favorite for free printable coloring pages, craft ideas, print-and-color greeting cards, certificate maker, outdoor game ideas, and even a site for educators and parents! (Plus they list all the Crayola products available for purchase). It's pretty neat! :)
Post a Comment