I love Christmas cookies - who doesn't?! I thought this year I would try a new sugar cookie recipe, but learned that it is best to stick with what you know works. The dough was awful tasting and a huge mess. It was like glurch, that messy kid's dough stuff made of glue and borax. Yuck! So here's the recipe that I will never stray from again. It works every time and without fail no matter what the holiday season!
Sugar Cookies
(this makes about 10 dozen cookies depending on desired thickness)
3 cups powdered sugar
2 cups butter
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond flavoring
5 cups flour
2 tsp. cream of tarter
2 tsp. baking soda
Cream sugar and butter; add egg and flavoring. Mix thoroughly. Mix dry ingredients and stir in. Refrigerate at least 2 -3 hours (my has sat for two days with no trouble). Divide dough in four parts and roll out on lightly floured pastry cloth. The least amount of working with the dough makes the best cookies. Place on baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 - 8 min. depending on thickness.
I have already made a batch that we decorated with sprinkles. I now have another batch in the fridge waiting to be rolled out and then frosted. Since you might ask for the perfect frosting recipe too, I will just provide it now...
Decorator Frosting
(makes one cup)
1/3 cup Crisco
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
Blend until mixed well: 3 min medium speed and 5 min. high speed with mixer. I like to separate it out and add food coloring too. A few drops will do but the best kind if you are really into decorator frosting is the paste. You get the richest colors!
What can a person do with so many cookies? Certainly we eat many, but we also give many more away. Half of the first batch treated my husband's co-workers. More than half of the second batch will be for The Edge, my fifth and sixth grade Sunday School class. A variety goes to the neighbors and friends too! You might just be a lucky recipient...
3 comments:
Oh, I'd love some of those cookies! Craig's aunts go crazy with the cookie baking though so I only have 2 days to wait. I've been trying lots of recipes lately and most of them have been flops.
I gotta ask. Did you ever get any of that tea for free?
No I never did - bummer deal...
Post a Comment