Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Mice You Can Sink Your Teeth Into

Seth and J mom in the kitchen.

In hopes of following through on my sorting/organizing goals, I am going through my years of cooking magazines. I always think I will go back and use them, but they really just grow dust in storage. I went through one box last night and ripped out any recipes I would like to try and then the magazines went in the recycle bin. It might be a good thing to do over time as the new recipes are of great excitement to me even though I saw them for the first time in 2003 or so.

Here is a recipe I came across that I actually did make in 2004 for Jason and myself. I thought they were so cute and sounded so yummy. When I saw the recipe again I knew that Seth and I would have to make them together. He loves to help bake and why not something as fun as Christmas Mice?!

Putting the ears, eyes, and noses on our mice. Snacking along the way was encouraged at first, but then got a bit out of hand. Seth had a chocolate mustache and beard!

The mouse infestation after it came out of our oven and grew licorice tails. No easy task!

Theses ones remind me of Remi and Emil from Ratatouille somehow. See the resemblance?!

Since the recipe is already at Taste of Home why type it here?! Check it out: Peanut Butter Christmas Mice

I warn you that they are fun, but tedious. The dough needs an hour to cool for sure before rolling out! Seth enjoyed it but got frustrated with the small pieces. We only ended up with 40 of them but they are cute. (Of course there are also the three and four eyed monsters and the men with ear muffs...the imagination of a two year old at work.) They spread out a lot as they bake so leave plenty of room on the pan. We skipped the holly decorating stuff since money and time were both an issue. Most important - they taste really yummy!

3 comments:

Allison said...

Ooh - will you please take the magazine out of your recycle bin and recycle them to me?

nicole said...

What a fun recipe- we may have to try it. I am sure Jackson would love it.
I just did the magazine myself this weekend- it feels great to get rid those extras that are just collecting the dust

Katerina said...

I expect to see some mice on my doorstep!