Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Blanket in a Pillow

I love to sew but rarely ever have the time to set up my machine and get a project done. To sew is to lose sleep and that is something I rarely want to give up, since there is never any extra. But this year I wanted to make something special for Seth for Christmas. He loves the movie Cars and all the characters so when I saw this material I just had to run with it. I found an easy pattern for a pillow in a quilt and got stared, months ago. It still wasn't early enough as I was sitting up late in the night on Monday of this week quilting it all together. All in all it turned out great and Seth does love it. I am glad I put the time in though I may think about getting started even sooner on the next one.

Since I wanted it to have a "quilt" look, I actually pieced together the top instead of just choosing one large piece of fabric. On the border I appliqued yellow pieces onto the black background with fusible web and some stitching so it looked like a road to drive his cars on. It was a lot of work but I love how it turned out!

The back is all one piece of Cars fabric and then the pillow part gets sewn on there too. Basically the whole blanket folds into the pocket with his name on it. It reminds me of the old days when you went to school and had a "Rest Time" blanket. I hope he can enjoy it for years to come.

Some Tips:
  1. The fabric you choose will shrink, maybe a lot, so you may have to re plan the size of your top squares if you choose to quilt as I did.
  2. The pillow stays on better if you just sew it on last after all the quilting is done.
  3. Choose a durable thread and lots of it.
  4. Start every new project with a new needle. You will be "sew" much happier with how it works, especially on the thick areas of the quilt when sewing it all together!
  5. Pin, pin, pin! The more you pin the less bunching you will have when you quilt it all together.

No comments: