Friday, October 3, 2008

Seth's Apple Dandy Day

Today was our family day at the Orchard. We drove out to our tried and true, Fischer's Croix Farms Orchard near Hastings, MN. Seth was so excited to get there and said as much when we arrived, "We're here, hurray!"

They still had pick-your-own raspberries and we got four pints at three dollars a piece which is steal compared to our local grocer store. We picked one peck of Honey Gold for eating and one peck of Haralson apples for cooking. They were both a good deal at $14 a peck. (Some orchards charge over $20 a peck.) Of course our trip would not be complete without a pumpkin or two. We got a large one to carve as a family and two small ones for decoration in the house. I love apple orchards and even better the excitement of baking with the apples, and don't forget raspberries!

Since a picture can tell a thousand words this time I will let them do the talking. Hope you are in the mood for some photos...I took a lot!
Seth and Mom picking Raspberries one row at a time.

For some reason, Seth's container never got full. Could that be because he was eating them faster than anyone could pick them?

Choosing a pumpkin comes down to this... Can you lift it?

Get Jason another one of those Honey Gold apples, he's in love!

Seth always had some apple or raspberry in his mouth. Here I asked him to share with me.

Seth and Mom discussing the tart taste of the apples and how much sugar we will need to add to our pie.

Have you ever climbed a mountain of hay? It's pretty fun. And what a beautiful day we had too!

Our family day was so fun - just what we needed to start of the month of October!

For further information about local orchards check out my previous post: Going Apple Picking.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Our day was today at that orchard. It was so crowded that the pic I took of Sam on the hay had 5 or 6 other children in it.

J mom said...

It was there big festival weekend! We have always gone on a weekday so I have no idea. I am sure it was busy. I hope you still had fun!

Cindy @The Flipping Couple said...

Such great pictures Mandy!!