Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Urine Soaked Adventure


Seth is on Day Four of Potty Training. We are having way more successes than accidents, but the stress level is a way high. I think we both have felt like shut-ins the past few days just running around the house in our underwear. Ammendment - Seth is wearing only underwear, mom does have clothes on, well pajamas are considered clothes, right?

Today we had to get out and run some errands just for sanity alone. Seth went on the potty before we left and then put on a pair of Pull-Ups just to be on the safe side. We drove through the drive up at the bank and deposited checks, stopped at the Veterinarians and purchased cat food. (This used to be a quick stop where I could park at the window and run in but once Seth learned that there were two cats in the building he now has to come in to pet them. Ahh...gone are the days of quick errands!)

After finally kissing the cats goodbye we headed to Babies R Us for some all important potty training equipment. We needed a fold up seat for the diaper bag (thanks to your advice) and something to protect the car seat from accidents as we have an eight hour drive to Nebraska coming up next week. Seth was smitten with the fold up Elmo seat. I had to remind him this was not a toy, he would need to sit on it to use the potty. We also picked up a "piddle pad" for the car seat. (Anyone have one? Is it worth the $7?!) I asked Seth if he needed to use the bathroom before we left as it had now been one hour since our last "production". He said no.

After that is was a short run through Target for a a few more training pants and to do a some last minute coupon shopping before the end of the month. Apparently everyone is potty training - they had no training pants in his size. Yikes! We checked out and I told Seth that we would go to the library for some new books next, but he had to try the potty first.

He was really excited to try his Elmo seat and thanks to the clean family bathroom at Super Target we were able to get situated with no trouble and surprise, surprise he did it. He went potty in public! And on a huge toilet seat, well, with the help of Elmo! I was in shock, a dry pull-up and going in a public restroom too. He must have thought I lost is when I kept saying "great job" and kissing him.

After that ginormous success (yes, I love that word) we went to the library. I was on cloud nine and sure we were headed for more success the rest of the day. Oh right, that advice about being patient...should've listened better.

Since lunch we have had four accidents and three of them were in the crib. (For the sake of the time line it is now after 2pm, lunch was at 11:30am and now I have no more clean sheets!) Where does it all come from for crying out loud?! He went to the bathroom right before we crawled into bed and then ten minutes later he is screaming my name and totally soaked! He was really upset about it too. He kept saying "no potty in the bed" over and over. I kept saying I was so proud of him for telling me and that we will just keep trying, but poor kid, he is taking it rough. Then it happened again, and again! (To keep from napping or is this just my take as a mother after it happened one too many times?) I just hope he can sleep awhile because we are both pooped! (Sorry, couldn't find a better word.) To top it off company arrives later this afternoon.

Those of you who pray - push me to the top of your prayer list. My motherhood skills are being tried and tested and I feel I am not proving worthy of this task!

1 comment:

laura said...

Praying for you dear...knowing that I will see you soon to give you a hug in person. Hang in there! God chose you as the right mother for Seth and he doesn't make mistakes! Love you!